Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What Will It Be?

So today is ultrasound day!!!!  Hooray!  When I was pregnant with Elijah, I knew from the beginning it was going to be a boy.  I don't know how, I just knew.  However, with this baby, I have absolutely NO IDEA and it's been driving me crazy!  So hopefully when I go in for my 20 week ultrasound today, we will be able to find out.  In the mean time, I've taken some not so very scientific tests to see if I can get some sort of an idea of what to expect.  Here are the results:

Chinese Conception Chart:  I looked at ten different charts on the internet and 8 of them said boy, and 2 said girl.  That didn't make sense to me because when I checked them all for Elijah, they were all boy.  We'll count this one as boy since 80% of them said boy.

Salvadorean Silverware:  When my husbands grandfather and aunt were visitng from El Salvador earlier this summer, I thought it would be fun to find out if they had any traditional ways of predicting the baby's gender.  Apparently, in El Salvador, the expectant mother is blind folded and given the choice of a spoon or a fork to pick (spoon=girl, fork=boy).  So we tried it, and I picked up a spoon.  So, according to this one, it'll be a girl.

Ring on a String:  An Old Wive's Tale is that if you put your wedding ring on string, lie down, and hold it over your belly, you can predict the gender of your baby.  If it swings like a pendulum, it's a boy.  If it swings in circles, it's a girl.  I've heard the same for a needle and thread held over your belly.  So I tried it first with the needle and the results were very inconclusive.  When I tried it with my ring, however, it swung VERY hard from side to side like a pendulum.  So we'll count this as a strong boy.

Old Wive's Tales Test:  Someone put a test online taking all the Old Wive's Tales (is your belly high/low, is your hair stronger/weaker, etc.) and combined them into a test.  The first one a took gave me a 53% chance of a boy, and a 47% chance of a girl.  The second one a took gave me a 27% chance of boy and a 72% chance of girl, which leaves 1% unaccounted for.  I guess we'll count this as a girl.

Age Test:  The last test I took had me enter my birth month/year, my husbands birth month/year, and our conception month/year.  According to that test, it's a boy.

The Hermano Castro:  We ran into a friend of Brigham's family from El Salvador at the Latin Festival earlier this month.  His name is Hermano Castro  (obviously, his first name is not Hermano, but I don't know he's first name and this is what everyone calls him).  After he had a nice long chat with Brigham, we said our goodbyes and as he was walking away he told Brigham that it was going to be a girl.  I'm not sure how accurate his predictions generally are, but we'll find out soon enough.

So after 6 tests, it's still a 50/50 draw.  So please leave all your predicitons below.  I'm very anxious to see what people think it's going to be.  Personally, if I had a choice, I'd choose boy mainly because Elijah needs a brother (the poor kid is surrounded by girls) plus I already have all the clothes, etc.  But as long as the baby is healthy, we'll be happy.

1 comment:

  1. When I was pregnant with my 2nd boy, Tyler, I thought for sure he was going to be a girl. But deep down I knew I'd never have any girls. I cried very happy tears when the ultrasound came back boy. So I'm voting for a boy. Only because I love boys! And all boys need brothers! Good luck! Love ya, Sherri

    ReplyDelete